2-year-old pit bull poisoned by antifreeze in Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach, Va. – A family dog in Virginia Beach has died after police say it was poisoned by antifreeze.
Virginia Beach Animal Control is now investigating the case of suspected dog poisoning that happened on June 6, 2012 in the 4800 block of Lake Bradford Lane within the Chesapeake Beach section of the city.
Officials say the necropsy report indicates the dog ingested antifreeze, causing her to suffer acute renal failure.
Mirage, a 2-year-old American Pit Bull Terrier, began showing symptoms shortly after returning from her fenced yard, police say.
Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning within the first twelve hours include vomiting, increased water consumption, stumbling or wobbling, exhibiting characteristics similar to intoxication, refusing to eat, and possible seizures.
If not quickly treated, decreased motor functions, paralysis, renal failure, and death will occur.
Any person causing the death of a companion animal by poisoning may be charged with a Class 6 Felony.
Anyone with information about this crime is encouraged to call the Virginia Beach Crime Solvers Office at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (562-5887). Callers remain anonymous and are eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $1,000 if their information leads to an arrest.
This case remains under investigation by the Virginia Beach Bureau of Animal Control.
- 339 gallons of moonshine, 18 weapons seized from Danville ranch
- Two charged after children found in padlocked camper in deplorable conditions
- Facebook comments may have led to at least one of the Eastern Shore arsons
- Receipt profanity angers dad who took young son to sports bar
- Viral video: What’s behind the door?