Neighbor accidentally shoots 3-year-old in Virginia Beach
On June 26, 2012, at approximately 10:56 p.m., Virginia Beach police received a call from the 5500 block of Seawall Court reporting that a 3-year-old girl had been shot in the arm.
Police say the child’s father heard an unknown sound and saw a hole in his apartment ceiling. Approximately one minute later, the suspect also called 9-1-1 to advise he had accidentally discharged his weapon.
Police say the suspect accidentally fired a single shot from his second floor apartment. When officers arrived, they contacted the residents in the apartment downstairs. The officers saw the 3-year-old with the injury to her arm.
Police say the 3-year-old was then transported to a local hospital with a non-life threatening gunshot wound.
The suspect is identified as 24-year-old Matthew Bairney of the 5500 block of Seawall Court in Virginia Beach.
Bairney has been charged with Reckless Handling of a Firearm, a Class One Misdemeanor.
Police say Bairney has been released on bond.
This case remains under investigation.
- Mom forces bullying daughter to don thrift store threads
- Two FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia Beach
- Man dragged under car for four miles in James City County
- $1 Million Powerball ticket sold in Virginia
- BREAKING: Officer shoots, kills suspect at Wells Fargo in Norfolk; another suspect in custody