Gas leak closes Battlefield Boulevard
Battlefield Boulevard in Chesapeake is closed from Cedar Road to the Great Bridge Bridge due to a propane leak.
Dispatchers got a call about the leak just before 2:00 this afternoon. When emergency crews got on scene, they found a 1,000-gallon propane tank leaking at the Citgo Station in the 200 block of Battlefield Boulevard.
Capt. Scott Saunders with Chesapeake Fire said the leak was patched and secured by a HAZMAT team, but the tank will still have to be drained. They expect the road closures to last for another 2-3 hours.
The City of Chesapeake has closed several roadways due to the leak:
South Battlefield Blvd. is CLOSED TO ALL TRAFFIC from Cedar Road to the Great Bridge Bridge
North Battlefield Blvd. is OPEN for LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY between Kempsville Road and the Great Bridge Bridge
Wilson Drive is CLOSED between Cedar Road and Albemarle Drive
Albemarle Drive is CLOSED between Wilson Drive and South Battlefield Blvd.
Police encourage drivers to use Route 168 – Expressway as an alternate route.
Tune into to NewsChannel 3 for more updates.
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video
- Suffolk mom targeted by online child porn scam
- Shot of the year? Roanoke high schooler makes incredible basket