Couple found dead in Portsmouth, air tests positive for Carbon Monoxide
Portsmouth officials say two people were found dead in an apartment building Thursday morning at 9:01 a.m. They suspect Carbon Monoxide, but the medical examiner has not determined an exact cause of death yet.
Police, fire, and rescue personnel responded to the scene where a man and woman, both in their 60s, were found dead in the apartment.
Officials say a total of six families are now displaced, and may not be back home until Friday. The city of Portsmouth is working to find the individuals a place to stay.
At least two other units were found to have elevated levels of carbon monoxide. The entire apartment building was evacuated because of the carbon monoxide build-up.
The building is located in the 1700 block of South Street, owned by Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority.
- Cargo ship runs aground in high winds off Virginia Beach
- UPDATE: Police identify two children dead after multi-vehicle crash in Sandbridge
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- VIDEO: Why it's not a good idea to take selfies with moving trains