Hampton man wins $1,000 per week for life from Virginia Lottery
HAMPTON – Grover Carter of Hampton was alone when he discovered he’d won the top prize in the Virginia Lottery’s Win for Life game.
“I looked at the ticket for about 30 minutes,” he told Lottery officials. “Then I decided to call my wife.”
Mr. Carter matched the first six numbers in the June 9 Win for Life drawing to win $1,000 per week for the rest of his life.
He bought the winning ticket at Rennies onWest Mercury Boulevard in Hampton.
On June 13, he returned to the store to receive the first in a lifetime of checks from Virginia Lottery officials. The store received $10,000 from the Virginia Lottery for selling the winning ticket.
The winning numbers for that drawing were 13-22-26-30-31-42 and the Free Ball number was 20. He selected the numbers on ticket using family birthdays.
How does it feel to win?
“It feels great,” he said. “It gives me a little spring in my step!”
Mr. Carter is Virginia’s 37th lifetime winner since Win for Life began in February 2006. Win for Life drawings are held Wednesday and Saturday nights at 11:00. The chances of winning the top prize are 1 in 5,245,786. Other prizes in the game range from $2 to $52,000.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen