Man charged with first-degree murder of father, step-mother
Police have arrested 37-year-old Joe Joyner, Jr. in connection to the double homicide that occurred last week in Isle of Wight County. He has been charged with first-degree murder after his father and step-mother were found dead.
Police say they discovered several items including the gun they believe was used in the crime. They say they found the gun in the Blackwater River at the bridge on West Blackwater Road.
On Friday at 11:30 a.m., police received a 911 call to conduct a welfare check on the residents at 31334 Walters Highway in the Carrsville community.
After a relative unlocked the door to allow police inside of the home, they discovered the body of 58-year-old Sandra Joyner, 58. Police say they saw signs of massive blunt force trauma.
Later that evening, police then found the body of 62-year-old Joseph Joyner, the husband of the woman found dead.
After performing an autopsy, the medical examiner’s office determined that Sandra Joyner died as a result of severe blunt force trauma and Joseph died as a result of a gunshot wound to the head.
Police continue to investigate this case.
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video
- Suffolk mom targeted by online child porn scam
- Couple calls 911 after they don't get hash brown order at McDonald's