Norfolk fire sends five people, four under the age of 3, to hospital

NORFOLK, Va. – Five people, four of them children, were hospitalized after an apartment fire in the 800 block of 26th Street Thursday afternoon.

According to Norfolk Fire-Rescue, the call for the fire came in at 12:38 p.m. Crews were able to get the fire under control by 1:01 p.m.

One dog died due to smoke inhalation, fire officials said. All five people taken to the hospital were suffering from minor complaints associated with smoke inhalation.

Crews are still on-scene, fire officials said. The fire’s cause was determined to be related to unattended cooking.

This is a developing story.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.