Surrounding area evacuated after ammonia leak at Norfolk business

NORFOLK, Va. - Crews with Norfolk Fire-Rescue responded to a hazmat incident in the 5700 block of Curlew Drive.

The call came in at 1:39 p.m. Wednesday.

Authorities say PadenCold Storage had an ammonia leak from its compressor. The business and other surrounding businesses were evacuated.

Officials also evacuated nearby homes due to the close proximity to the business.

Shortly after 3:30 p.m., officials say the leak has been secured.

They say it happened when a gasket blew during a repair to the compressor, which led to the leak of anhydrous ammonia.

No injuries were reported.

Authorities say residents will be allowed to return home once the area has been cleared.

This is a developing story.

Stay with News 3 for updates. 

Google Map for coordinates 36.841921 by -76.209401.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.