NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Newport News Police Department and the Virginia State Police responded to a crash on I-64 early Sunday morning.
According to police, at approximately 3:36 a.m., officers attempted to stop a vehicle on Bland Boulevard in reference to a possible DUI. The suspect vehicle failed to yield to police and entered I-64 heading westbound in the eastbound lane.
The suspect vehicle then struck another vehicle.
The suspect and two passengers, as well as the driver and passenger in the victim vehicle, were taken to a local hospital. Two of the passengers, one from the suspect vehicle and one from the victim vehicle, are in critical condition.
34-year-old Michael Alexander Palmer on Hampton was arrested and has been charged with the followingL
- Drug possession
- Paraphernalia: unauthorized distribution
- Probation: violation on felony offense
- Law enforcement command: disregard or elude
- Defective/unsafe equipment
- Fail to keep right
- Not wearing front seat belt
- Reckless driving: generally, endanger life/limb/property
- License revoked: driving w/o license, 3rd or more offense
There are no further details available at this time.