Seven people rescued after grill causes house fire in Chesapeake

CHESAPEAKE, Va. - A family of seven in Chesapeake was rescued by firefighters Monday morning around 3 a.m., after being trapped on the second floor of a burning home.

According to officials, the seven people, which included two children and five adults, were reached by a rescue ladder firefighters used at the home located in the 1300 block of 21st Street in South Norfolk.

Officials said no one has been hurt and that the fire was quickly extinguished and called under-control at 4:03 a.m.

The cause of the fire was found to be from a grill that was used on the second story balcony.

 

The Red Cross is assisting residents with lodging arrangements.

The family is asking for help via a GoFundMe page here.

Firefighters remind residents that grills should be kept at least 10 feet away from a home or any combustible material.

Download the News 3 App for updates on this story.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.