Norfolk high school dismisses early after squirrel chews through cable, causes major power outage

NORFOLK, Va. — Granby High School is dismissing students early Thursday after a transformer caused a major power outage and a false bomb threat was made toward the school.

Dominion Energy said that a squirrel chewed through an underground cable, which sparked an electrical pole fire as well as the power outage. Battalion Chief Harry Worley said Granby High School was evacuated after the fire call came in at 8:30 a.m.

According to officials, the bomb threat was found to be not credible and students started being dismissed at 10:30 a.m.

Officials added that no one will be permitted to enter or leave through the front entrance of the building and parents who pick up students must do so on Thole Street, plus have and ID to show. Parents must inform their students through text message to come to the Thole Street exit.

The district reached out to Granby High School parents via messages through email and robocall.

Bonita Harris of Dominion Energy said the lights should be back on by 3 p.m. Thursday, and that school will be in session as usual Friday.

Download the News 3 app for updates on this story. 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.