Heat Advisory for all of Hampton Roads and NE North Carolina until 7 p.m. Thursday

Space heater near a rug sparks Portsmouth house fire

PORTSMOUTH, Va. – A space heater sparked a small fire in a Portsmouth home Monday morning.

Firefighters said they responded to a residential structure fire in the 600 block of Mt. Vernon Avenue around 7:15 a.m.

Smoke and flames were visible from the front door when crews arrived.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire. The fire was out around 7:30 a.m.

Officials said there was minimal damage to the home and no injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire appeared to officials to be an electric space heater operating in close to a rug.

No one will be displaced because of the fire.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.