Fire forces family of seven, two pets out of home before Christmas

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - A fire forced a family of seven out of their home in the 400 block of Elmont Road just two weeks before Christmas.

The call came in at 5:15 p.m. Tuesday.

Photo: Virginia Beach Fire Department

Authorities with the Virginia Beach Fire Department said smoke and fire damage could be found throughout the two-story home. The family told News 3's Kim Cung they had a Christmas tree up with presents.

"Five kids. They’re all devastated for multiple reasons. Christmas is two weeks around the corner. It's going to be very trying," said Mike Finch.

Finch said his kids grew up in the home and they've lived there for nearly a decade.

Officials said the fire started in the garage area.

The fire is currently under control and is being investigated by the VBFD Fire Marshal's Office.

Two pets were also displaced by the fire.

No injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported.

If you'd like to donate to the family, you can do so at this GoFundMe set up by Finch's cousin.

Download the News 3 app for updates.