PORTSMOUTH, Va. – Members of the Portsmouth Police Department and local faith leaders teamed up for Chief Tonya Chapman’s “Faith Behind the Badge” community outreach initiative this week.
Thirty-three Thanksgiving dinners were delivered to Portsmouth families in need.
This is the department’s second year of the initiative. The department will also be serving families for Christmas by fulfilling their holiday wishes.
The Portsmouth Police Department recognized the following churches for their efforts in serving the community:
- Fairwood Agape Baptist Church (3709 Elliott Avenue)
- Calvary Evangelical Baptist Church (205 Gust Lane)
- Community Presbyterian church (801 Tazewell Street)
- Westhaven Baptist Church (4900 Caroline Avenue)
- Port Norfolk Baptist Church (401 Broad Street)
- Grove Church (5910 West Norfolk Road)