NORFOLK Va. - It's time to go bargain shopping or donate some of your gently used items because August 17th is national thrift store day.
Hampton Roads is home to hundreds of thrift stores.
Many stores, like Hope House thrift store, give all proceeds to people in need within the community.
Hope House thrift store donates all proceeds to benefit people with disabilities, supported by the Hope House Foundation.
The Hope House also accepts donations to generate revenue to fund services the agency provides for people with developmental disabilities.
Donations help to offer the community low cost quality merchandise, a fun shopping experience and the opportunity to recycle items that would otherwise end up in a landfill.
You can drop off your donation every Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Items they accept:
- Accessories (hats, belts, ties, etc.)
- Holiday Decorations
- Household Items
- Music CDs-Cassettes-Vinyl
- Pet Items
- Sporting Goods
- Stationary/Office Items
Items they do NOT accept:
- Appliances (large)
- Batteries - Auto/Household
- Damaged or heavily stained upholstered furniture and mattresses
- Large computer monitors
- Console TVs
- Exercise Equipment
- Gas containers
- Gas grills
- Household paints/chemicals
- Heaters that use fuel
- Hospital Beds
- Infant car seats
- Metal desks
- Tires = Costs to Thrift Shop to have them hauled away.
- Toys = Safety Issues and recalls; we do however sell a few large toys after checking with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission website for safety recalls.
- Waterbeds = No demand.
- Window blinds = Variation in specialty sizes make them hard to sell.
- Wire hangers = No demand
If you are in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake or Portsmouth , you can also call 757-625-7493 to arrange pick-up service for larger items (i.e. furniture).
Donations are tax-deductible.
The Hope House always needs volunteers to do things like hang clothes, clean merchandise and test small appliances.
If you would like to shop at other local thrift stores that give back to the community click below: