Knotts Island house fire started by stove, displaces five

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CURRITUCK COUNTY, N.C. — A house fire that occurred Friday has displaced a family of five from their home.

Photo provided by Currituck County Fire-EMS.

Dispatchers received a call at 3 p.m. for a house fire at the 200 block of Woodleigh Road on Knotts Island, according to officials.

No injuries were reported, but one woman and four children will be displaced due to extensive fire and smoke damage. The children were not home during the fire.

This was an accidental fire that started on the stove.

When crews from the Currituck Fire Department, Virginia Beach Fire Department and the Knotts Island Volunteer Fire Department arrived, they found fire coming through the roof.

The homeowner attempted to extinguish the fire, but the fire extended up through a ceiling vent and into the attic space. The homeowner called 911 when she heard crackling through the ceiling vent.

Crews found the homeowner’s cat inside a crawl space, unconscious underneath rubble. The cat was given oxygen and regained consciousness.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.