Smithfield Food Lion closes after electrical issue

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SMITHFIELD, Va. – A Food Lion in Smithfield is closed Monday after a burnt air handler caused smoke to fill the store.

A fire call came in around 1 p.m. to dispatch in reference to the store in the 1900 block of S Church St.

Officials say that when they arrived, it was determined that no real fire had been caused, just smoke from the electrical issue.

No injuries were reported.

As a result of the incident, there is no working grocery store in Smithfield.

When the store will re-open has not been released.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.