Discarded cigarette causes Chesapeake mulch fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHESAPEAKE, Va. – Fire units in Chesapeake responded to a mulch fire at an apartment building in the city caused by a discarded cigarette.

Officials say they were called to the scene around 11 a.m. in the 2800 block of Parkside Dr.

The call was first for an apartment fire, but when firefighters arrived, they realized that mulch was burning outside and that the smoke was traveling into the apartment through an A/C unit.

There was no fire actually in the building.

No one was displaced or injured by this fire.

Stay tuned to News 3 for updates. 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.