Discarded cigarette leaves three displaced after Chesapeake house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHESAPEAKE, Va. – Firefighters in Chesapeake responded to a house fire that displaced three on Sunday at a home near Oak Grove Lake Park.

According to officials, a discarded cigarette caused a fire outside which spread into the home.

The fire was in the 400 block of Kings Gate around 6 p.m. and when fire crews arrived to the two-story house they could visibly see flames coming from the second floor.

Firefighters were able to put the fire out by 7:07 p.m., but the fire still caused major damage to the home.

No one was injured, and the family displaced is arranging their own housing.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.