First Warning Action Day: Scattered severe storms possible Tuesday afternoon and evening 🌧️

New details in deadly Yorktown Walmart shooting 

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

YORK COUNTY, Va. - A woman accused of shooting and killing another woman in the parking lot of a Walmart was in court Friday morning.

Cindy Bryant

Cindy Bryant has several charges against her, including first degree murder.

Investigators say Bryant shot and killed 37-year-old Jean Bryant in the store's parking lot around 9:30 a.m. Thursday.

According to court documents obtained by News 3, Bryant told investigators she entered the Walmart, purchased ammunition, went to a nearby McDonald's, loaded the newly purchased ammunition in a handgun, and went back to the Walmart.

Once back at the store, the documents state she confronted Jean, who is her current wife, inside the Eye Center.

They begin to argue briefly, then Cindy asked Jean to step outside so they could talk.

Jean reportedly refused.

At that point, the documents said, Cindy pulled the firearm from her pocket and demanded that Jean leave the store.

Once they got to the parking lot, the two women allegedly engaged in another argument. At this point, a bystander got involved and Jean took off running in the parking lot.

Cindy told investigators she ran after Jean and shot at her. Cindy, according to court documents, told investigators Jean tried running back into the store when she was struck and fell to the ground in the parking lot.

The Walmart is located along George Washington Memorial Highway.

Officials say Bryant, 34, and the victim know each other but have not confirmed if they are married. They're both from Hampton.

Jean Bryant was an employee of the optometrist office that leases office space from Walmart but was not a Walmart employee.

Authorities say this was an isolated incident between the two women and were having a personal dispute.

The victim was rushed to the hospital but died a few hours later.

A funding page has been set up to help with funeral costs at the M.E. Fisher Funeral Home in Newport News. Click here to donate.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.