William & Mary bounces back with a road win over Elon 80-73

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ELON, N.C. (Tribe Athletics) - Trailing by eight points with 6:46 remaining, the William & Mary men's basketball team once again made the big plays down the stretch to win its fourth-straight CAA road game, 80-73, at Elon on Saturday night.

William & Mary at Elon.

The Tribe scored 19 of the game's final 23 points, hitting five of its final eight shots, including four 3-pointers. On the other side, the Green and Gold limited Elon (12-9, 4-4 CAA) to 1-of-10 and 0-of-6 from 3-point range over the final six and a half minutes to pull out the win.

Elon's Steven Santa Ana capped an 11-2 Elon run to open up the Phoenix's largest lead of the game, 69-61, with 6:46 left. The Green and Gold responded with a 10-0 run led by the sophomore class. Nathan Knight, who was saddled with foul trouble for most of the night, scored five-straight points, before Justin Pierce knocked down a wing 3-pointer to knot the game with 4:33 to play. Matt Milon put the Tribe back in front, 71-69, with a floater less than a minute later.

After the Phoenix tied it for the final time on a Brian Dawkins lay-up at the 2:21 mark, the Tribe scored eight-straight points to put the game away. Milon's 3-pointer just 15 seconds later gave W&M the lead for good. Senior Connor Burchfield and Pierce combined for arguably the biggest defensive play of the game with just over a minute remaining. Burchfield knocked the ball away from a driving Santa Ana, and Pierce dove on the loose ball to give W&M possession. It paid off as Milon drove and kicked to Burchfield for the right-wing dagger 3-pointer with 42.6 seconds remaining to push the advantage to 77-71. It was the final of the Tribe's 16 3-pointers.

W&M scored the game's first four points and led for the remainder of the opening 20 minutes. Senior Oliver Tot pulled down a defensive rebound and raced out on the break, finding classmate David Cohn for a 3-pointer to extend W&M's lead to its largest of the first half at 36-29.

Elon tied the game at 36 on a Dmitri Thompson layup just 36 seconds into the second half. W&M answered with four-straight 3-pointers. Cohn hit a trio of triples and scored 10 of the Tribe's first 13 second-half point. His triple at the 17-minute mark gave W&M an eight-point cushion, 48-40.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.