Crews respond to stove fire in Hayes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HAYES, Va. – Firefighters with Abingdon Volunteer Fire and Rescue responded to a house fire off Bray Road in Hayes Thursday afternoon.

Dispatchers received the call at 4:09 p.m. Crews arrived at the scene to find smoke coming from the back of the single story duplex. Gloucester County deputies were the first to arrive and were able to use a handheld extinguisher to put out a fire on the stove that had spread to the cabinets above.

The damage from the fire was contained to the kitchen.

Firefighters removed the damaged stove and vent hood and ventilated the structure. They also checked the attic for any possible extension.

There were no injuries reported.

Download the News 3 app for updates. 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.