Homeowner using heat gun to thaw frozen pipes likely to blame in Chesapeake fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHESAPEAKE, Va. – Chesapeake firefighters responded to a house fire during bitterly cold weather Saturday night.

Firefighters were called to the 1000 block of Chesapeake Avenue, in the South Norfolk section of the city, just before 7:30 p.m.

Captain Scott Saunders, Assistant Fire Marshall of the Chesapeake Fire Department, says when firefighters arrived on scene, they found smoke coming from the two-story, single-family home.

Upon further examination, they found that there was fire underneath and in the walls of the home. Luckily, they were able to contain most of the fire damage to those areas.

The fire was brought under control at 8:13 p.m.  According to firefighters,  the fire was likely caused by the homeowner using a heat gun to thaw frozen pipes underneath of the home.

Two adults are displaced following the fire.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.