Two men injured in Virginia Beach townhouse fire; Six adults, two children displaced

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – Six adults and two children are now without a home after a fire Monday morning in their Virginia Beach townhouse.

Virginia Beach Fire Department crews responded to the fire in the 400 block of Burr Oak Circle around 9:30 a.m. and found smoke and flames coming from the home.

Two men were transported to a local hospital for treatment of minor injuries from the fire. One man, the 26-year-old son of the homeowner, was injured when he was forced to escape from a second-story window. He was treated for minor burns to both hands and a minor cut to one hand. The second man, a 94-year-old, was taken to the hospital for breathing difficulties.

No other injuries were reported. The children were in school at the time of the fire.

The fire was under control by 9:40 a.m. and contained to the end unit, thanks to a firewall in the building and quick response by fire crews.

Virginia Beach Fire Department investigators say the fire has been determined to be accidental, sparked by an over-heated electrical circuit.