HAMPTON ROADS, Va. – Are you the crafty type? Several Hampton Roads hospitals are looking for volunteers to knit or crochet red hats for babies born in February.
Now in its third year, The American Heart Association‘s program Little Hats, Big Hearts will give out the hats to thousands of babies during American Heart Month. By making the hats, supporters will help raise awareness about heart disease congenital heart defects. AHA is sponsoring the program in connection with The Children’s Heart Foundation.
Here is a list of local hospitals who are participating in the program this year:
- Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center
- Bon Secours Mary Immaculate Hospital
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center
- Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
- Sentara Obici Hospital
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center
If you’re not quite proficient in the art of knitting, hospitals are also accepting donations of yarn. Yarn should be red, made out of cotton or acrylic, medium to heavy weight and machine washable and dryable. Bows and buttons are not recommended due to safety concerns.