Dog dies during apartment fire in Hampton

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HAMPTON, Va. – Hampton Fire and Rescue responded to a fire Saturday afternoon on 58 Lakeshore Dr.

Officials say that dispatch received calls at 5:02 p.m. of a fire at an apartment complex at the address.

A dog died during the fire but no other injuries have been reported.

When firefighters arrived, they saw smoke coming from the hallway and stairwell of the second floor of the apartment.

Officials say firefighters had to use an aerial ladder to help people stuck on an apartment balcony adjacent to the fire. Those in the apartment next to where the fire started were not able to evacuate because of heavy smoke.

Major fire damage was caused to a kitchen area at the apartment complex and the fire took around 20 minutes to extinguish.

Two people have been displaced because of the fire.

Officials say the fire was accidental, but no other details about how it started were released.

Stay with News 3 for updates. 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.