Family displaced after lightning strikes house in Suffolk

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SUFFOLK, Va. –  A family is out of their home after a lightning strike caused a house fire in Suffolk Saturday afternoon.

Officials say this happened just before 5:30 p.m. in the 300 block of Festival Court.

When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from attic area of the home.

Once fire officials entered the structure, they encountered heavy flames in the attic.

The fire was under control 30 minutes later.

Two adults were home at the time of the fire, but neither were hurt.

Firefighters were also able to safely locate the family’s cat.

Three adults and a child are displaced from their home, the American Red Cross is assisting the family.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.