Virginia Beach family displaced by late night fire 

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The back of a Virginia Beach home went up in flames last night.

Firefighters were called to the 1900 block of Marta Court, in the Red Mill section of the city, around 11:30 p.m.

Once on scene, firefighters found the entire back of the home in flames.

Officials say the fire was caused by unattended smoking material, likely cigarettes.

A man inside and his dog were able to get out safely.

It is being ruled an accident.