Fire officials: ‘Discarded smoking material’ cause Gloucester house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GLOUCESTER COUNTY, Va. – “Carelessly discarded smoking material” caused a home to go up in flames Sunday afternoon, fire officials say.

On Sunday, the Gloucester Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad responded to a fire on Wagon Run Road after a caller reported seeing smoke and flames coming from their neighbor’s house.

When crews arrived, they saw flames coming from the front side of the home and smoke coming from all sides.

The embers from the house also started a small brush fire in the woods near the home.

Crews quickly put out the house and brush fires.

No one was home at the time of the fire and there were no injuries.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.