Suffolk kitchen fire displaces family of four

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SUFFOLK, Va. – Crews responded to a house fire Thursday evening in the 4100 block of Berwyn Way in the Berwyn neighborhood.

Emergency Communications received a call about the fire around 5:30 p.m.

Residents of the home had evacuated before firefighters got there.

Firefighters said when they arrived they found heavy smoke and a working kitchen fire that had extended into the attic area.

Crews were able to rescue a Labrador retriever that was inside the residence.

The fire was called under control at 5:58 p.m., and firefighters said there were no injuries.

Two adults and two children were displaced as a result of the fire and will be assisted by the American Red Cross.

The fire was ruled accidental, fire officials said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.