Watch: Latest weather update as temperatures plummet, winds ramp up

Man accused of assaulting off-duty police officer tells his side of the story

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHESAPEAKE, Va. - A Newport News man is facing a slew of charges after he allegedly attacked a Virginia Beach Police Officer inside of a grocery store.

 Chris McVey

Chris McVey was charged with assaulting an off duty Virginia Beach Police officer in Chesapeake.

According to court documents, Chris McVey of Newport News assaulted the police officer, who was off duty at the time of the confrontation.

McVey told News 3 he made a comment to the cashier about poor customer service when the police officer intervened and asked him to leave the store.

McVey said he was originally planning to leave the store, but since the order came from the off duty police officer, instead of store management, he refused.

McVey said he called 9-1-1 while the officer made a phone call. McVey claims the officer began recording him with his cell phone, which is when McVey pulled out his phone and also began recording.

McVey's recording shows the police officer walking away from McVey, and McVey following him to a customer service counter inside the store. The officer asks McVey to back up, McVey says no, then the video shows McVey being tackled by the officer.

Virginia Beach Police say they are aware of the situation and video. They are conducting an internal investigation into the situation.

Farm Fresh's Corporate office sent over the following statement regarding the incident:

"An altercation between two individuals and an off-duty police officer occurred at our store located on Kempsville Road in Chesapeake during the evening of Thursday, March 2. Local police were called to the store and the individuals were removed. At this time, there is an ongoing police investigation and any additional questions regarding the investigation should be directed to the Chesapeake police department."