Gas smell prompts brief evacuation of Suffolk Walmart

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SUFFOLK, Va. – The Walmart store in Suffolk was evacuated briefly on Thursday afternoon after a gas smell was detected inside the store.

Suffolk emergency dispatchers received a call at 1:10 p.m. about the odor.

When crews arrived, the store had been evacuated.

Columbia Natural Gas crews responded and isolated the odor to a heating unit on the roof of the facility.

No one was injured.

The building was reopened to employees and customers at approximately 1:50 p.m.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.