House fire in Newport News caused by electrical issue

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – Newport News Fire Department crews responded to a house fire early Thursday in the 700 block of 31st Street.

Calls reporting the fire were received at 3:46 a.m. and crews arrived at the scene at 3:50 a.m. to find smoke coming from the attic area of the home.

A search of the house was conducted and an all-clear was given at 4:03 a.m.

The fire was discovered in the attic and quickly extinguished. It was determined to be electrical in nature.

No civilians were injured, but one firefighter was hospitalized for what was determined to be a non-fire ground related illness.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.