Apartment condemned following fire in Newport News

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va – Firefighters say unattended cooking caused a fire at an apartment Saturday afternoon.

The call came in around 1:45 in the 11100 block of Terry Drive.

The fire was deemed under control about 20 minutes later, but not before the apartment suffered heavy fire and smoke damage.

Occupants of the building are receiving help from the American Red Cross.

Fire officials say no one living there was injured, but a firefighter was sent to a local hospital for a non-fire ground related illness.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.