One day before Thanksgiving, family loses everything in fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SUFFOLK, VA. - Burned walls, a  melted microwave, and black cabinets are just some of the reminders for Shannon Watson and her fiance of their Suffolk home.

"We weren’t careless. We didn’t put ourselves in a position to be homeless. We work our butts off to get what we have," Watson said.

They're homeless after their house was destroyed in a fire 24-hours before Thanksgiving.

"It’s the holiday and we couldn’t even cook Thanksgiving dinner. We couldn’t do anything of the things we planned to do," Watson told News 3.

With most parents now putting the final touches on their kids Christmas wishes, Watson says there’s no telling if hers will get a visit from Saint Nick.

"It’s a major concern. We don’t have anything. Our decorations, our lights. We lost their tablets," Watson said.

Crews were called to the home in the 5100 block of Carolina Road around 10:40 a.m. Wednesday.

Fire officials say the fire was caused by a malfunctioning clothes dryer.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help get the family in a new home to ring in the season.

"I’ve just tried to keep the mentality of trying to move forward," Watson's fiance, Derek West, said.  "At the same time, there’s this little feeling of uncertainty that I don’t know what’s next.”

Right now, they’re staying with friends until they figure out what lies ahead.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.