Fire in Newport News displaces 2 adults, 8 children and 4 pets

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - An overnight fire has destroyed a garage attached to a home in Newport News, all of which is condemned for the time being.

According to the Capt. Holloway of the Newport News Fire Department, the house fire was called in around 4:15 a.m. Friday. The house, located in the 100 block of Miller's Cove Road is home to two adults, eight children and their four pets, who all made it out safely.

Fire officials discovered an improperly discarded cigarette started the fire.

When units arrived on scene they found the source of the fire to be in the garage. They say the fire was accidental in nature and mostly contained to the garage.

Fire officials said it took them 15 minutes to have the fire under control. Fire crews worked on scene for several hours removing debris from the garage and making sure the fire was completely out.

Six trucks responded to the fire.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.