Crews battle fire at two-story home in Suffolk

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Photo: City of Suffolk)

SUFFOLK, Va. – Fire and Rescue crews responded to a fire at a two-story home in the 200 block of Chestnut Street.

The call came in on Monday at 6:23 p.m.

When firefighters arrived, they saw fire coming from the back of the house, extending up to the second story.

Two people escaped the fire before firefighters arrived. A woman was taken to Sentara Obici Hospital due to smoke inhalation.

The home sustained smoke and fire damage, especially in the kitchen area.

The fire was due to unattended cooking, according to the Suffolk Fire Marshal.

Four adults and three children have been displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Google Map for coordinates 36.731032 by -76.586689.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.