Norfolk home is uninhabitable after fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NORFOLK, Va. – A two story home is  uninhabitable after it caught fire Thursday evening.

Norfolk Fire-Rescue units responded to the 5500 block of Brookville Road and could see smoke coming from the home upon arrival.

One occupant was standing outside the home when crews responded.

Firefighters were able to locate a fire inside the walls of the utility room on the first floor.

Responders also found fire in the walls of the second floor.

The occupant told firefighters he noticed something burning while he was repairing a drain pipe inside his utility room.

When smoke started he evacuated the home.

There are no reported injuries at this time and the fire is under investigation but appears to be an accident, according to fire officials.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.