Virginia Beach woman charged with stabbing mother to death enters insanity plea

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
India Hugh Kong Johnson

India Hugh Kong Johnson

Virginia Beach, Va. - A Virginia Beach woman charged with second degree murder for the stabbing death of her mother pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity in court on Wednesday.

India Johnson was arrested in June of 2015 after police say a domestic-related dispute between India and her mother turned deadly.

Court documents say Johnson called 911 and said she stabbed her mother, 49-year-old Annanya Linkeow Hugh-Kong.

The incident occurred after an argument inside their home in the 4200 block of Thalia Station Circle.

Johnson, who had multiple cuts on her hands, claimed she stabbed her mother in self-defense.

Johnson was arrested and charged with second degree murder.

She told police that she sees demons and angels on the day that she was arrested for stabbing her mother to death, according to new court records which are revealing gruesome details.
NewsChannel 3 a copy of the Stipulation of Facts from the Commonwealth Attorney's Office.
It states that India told police she was under stigmata and claimed that her mother tried to attack her with a knife.

It states that when police arrived after India called 911 she was covered in blood, sitting in the living room. Police state that the mother was found locked in the back bedroom covered in blood with wounds to her head neck back shoulders arms and legs.
She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Back when the crime happen in June 2015 neighbors told us they had heard the two fighting in the past.
Court records state that India told police she see spirits in limbo and was meditating with headphones in, screaming for the spirits to leave her alone. It states that she told police that her mom ripped her headphones out of her ears and ripped other things out of the wall. It states that she called 911 when she realized the blade went into her mothers flesh. When police told her that her mother was dead she got visibly upset and said 'I'm so sorry'.
A friend you didn't want to be identified told me that the mother and daughter were best friends and that she hopes India gets the help that she needs while she's locked up.
The Commonwealth Attorney's Office said her next hearing will be July 19th. She will undergo several mental health evaluations by both a psychologist and a psychiatrist. Then the judge will make a determination at her next hearing whether she will remain hospitalized, be released with conditions or be released with no conditions.



Court Documents: Daughter ‘stabbed mother multiple times, claims self-defense’