Now that the Powerball lottery jackpot has reached an incredible $1.5 billion, someone familiar with that amount of money has offered up a few tips.
Dallas Mavericks owner and billionaire Mark Cuban spoke to The Dallas Morning News this week about what tips he could offer potential Powerball winners.
- Hire a tax attorney first.
- Don’t take the lump sum. You don’t want to blow it all in one spot.
- If you weren’t happy yesterday you won’t be happy tomorrow. It’s money. It’s not happiness.
- If you were happy yesterday, you are going to be a lot happier tomorrow. It’s money. Life gets easier when you don’t have to worry about the bills.
- Tell all your friends and relatives no. They will ask. Tell them no. If you are close to them, you already know who needs help and what they need. Feel free to help SOME, but talk to your accountant before you do anything and remember this, no one needs 1m dollars for anything. No one needs 100k for anything. Anyone who asks is not your friend.
- You don’t become a smart investor when you win the lottery. Don’t make investments. You can put it in the bank and live comfortably. Forever. You will sleep a lot better knowing you won’t lose money.
Are you feeling lucky? The next Powerball drawing is Wednesday night! Click here to follow our coverage!