Early morning fire damages Newport News restaurant

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Newport News, Va. – An early morning blaze damaged a Newport News restaurant Sunday morning.

Fire crews were dispatched to Warwick Restaurant in the 12300 block of Warwick Boulevard around 9:45 a.m. where heavy smoke was spewing from the exhaust vents on the left side of the buildings roof.

They quickly began aggressive interior fire-attack on the body of the fire, which was located in the kitchen area, and began search and rescue operations. The building was completely evacuated by 9:56 a.m. and the fire under control by 10:11 a.m.

The structure sustained fire damage in the kitchen area with heat and smoke damage throughout. This all occurred during the restaurants normal business hours.

No injuries were reported to the firefighters or civilians.

The Newport News Fire Department wants to reiterate the life saving value of properly installed and operable smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in the home. The NNFD will install free smoke alarms for any Newport News homeowner. Please call the “Smoke Detector Hotline” at 926-8009 to arrange, or visit our web site at www.nnva.gov/fire.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.