Norfolk, Va. — More than 5,000 Sailors aboard the aircraft carrier George H.W. Bush and the guided missile destroyer USS Truxtun will come home to Norfolk on Saturday, November 15th. We will stream the homecoming live on wtkr.com.
The ships were serving as part of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 2, and return after a nine-month deployment in the 5th and 6th U.S. Fleet areas of responsibility that saw the carrier launch airstrikes against ISIS forces in Iraq and Syria.
Commanded by Rear Adm. DeWolfe Miller III, CSG 2 is comprised of the Bush, Carrier Air Wing 8, the Truxtun, the guided missile destroyer USS Roosevelt, and the guided missile cruiser USS Philippine Sea. The Roosevelt and Philippine Sea are returning to their homeports at Naval Station Mayport, Florida.
Commanded by Capt. D. L. Cheever, the squadrons of CVW-8 are: Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 213 “Fighting Black Lions;” VFA-31 “Tomcatters;” VFA-15 “Valions;” and VFA-87 “Golden Warriors;” Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron 134 “Garudas;” Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 124 “Bear Aces;” Fleet Logistics Support Squadron 40 “Rawhides;” Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 70 “Spartans,” and Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 9 “Tridents.”
- Raw Video: The USS George H.W. Bush launches F/A-18s
- USS George H.W. Bush sailor: ‘It is very exciting to be a part of something like this’
- VIDEO: What’s it like to fly an F/A-18F Super Hornet from the USS George H.W. Bush?
- Virginia Beach sailor run over by F/A-18, loses leg aboard USS George H.W. Bush
- Command Master Chief of helicopter squadron aboard the carrier Bush relieved of duties
- Raw video: Flight operations aboard the USS George H.W. Bush in the Arabian Sea
- Family members serving aboard carriers Truman and Bush enjoy rare meeting at sea