Gas explosion, fire strike vacant building in Virginia Beach

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Virginia Beach, Va. – A fire and gas explosion rocked a vacant building in Virginia Beach this morning.

The blaze happened in the 300 block of 15th Street at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. 15th Street from Pacific to Arctic is blocked.

Fire officials say a squatter in the building had a light on, but they do not know what sparked the blast, only that it was gas-related.

A neighbor who lives next door to the building was treated for injuries from flying glass.

The neighbor reported seeing a light in the empty building and thought it was strange before the explosion happened.


  • Will Bauer

    I wouldnt doubt it was started by the homeless squater(which is nice speak for drunk,drug addict, freeloader) . The church across the street is were they probably ate.

    • Jessicka Kulik

      All I know is I thought we got hit by an airplane. The debris hit where we were sleeping …We felt, and heard it and it was so confusing trying to figure out what to do or what was even going on. (Being 7 am!)
      it was a huge explosion, scared the sh*t out of me. It kept popping and glass kept breaking…We jumped up, I smelled fire and i ran outside but there was nothing yet but sound effects …
      I came back in to get my kids out because the smell got so bad and as soon as we got out the whole thing was in heavy flames :( there was glass and blinds being blown everywhere pretty much corning us in there… definitely was nerve wracking!
      And this glass in my foot is awesome for vacation! But at leased no one was killed our seriously injured.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.