Kitchen fire forces two families out of Suffolk apartments

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Suffolk, Va. – Two families are without a home after a kitchen fire broke out in an apartment in Suffolk on Tuesday night.

This happened in the 100 block of Pine Street in downtown Suffolk.

Calls came in about the fire at 8:02 p.m. and units arrived just minutes later.

It was a two-story home that had been turned into four apartments.

Fire officials say the fire started in the kitchen of an upstairs apartment.

Everyone was able to get out of the building before crews arrived. Firefighters had the fire under control by 8:17 p.m.

Six adults and one child are all being helped by the Red Cross.

Four adults and the child were in the unit where the fire started and two other adults were in the second upstairs apartment. That unit sustained smoke damage. The other residents downstairs were able to return to their homes.

No one was injured.