Firefighter, resident taken to hospital after apartment fire in Chesapeake

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Chesapeake, Va. - Fire officials say unattended cooking has caused three people to be forced out of their Chesapeake apartment.  A firefighter and one of the residents were taken to the hospital after saying they were not feeling well.

This happened in the Greenbrier section of the city in the 1300 block of Ivy Trail.

Crews were called to the scene at 4:36 p.m.

Moments later, crews arrived and found heavy smoke coming from the apartment.

They say the flames were contained to one unit.

Firefighters were able to get the fire out by 4:49 p.m.