Home condemned after fire in Newport News

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Newport News, Va. – Firefighters put out a house fire on Wanger Court in the Denbigh section of Newport News Friday evening.

The call for the blaze came in at 6:47pm and the fire was brought under control in about 30 minutes.

The firefighters contained the fire to the garage area. However, there was smoke damage to the remainder of the home, which was condemned.

The fire is believed to have started in the clothes dryer which was located in the garage.

The Red Cross was called to assist the occupant who was displaced.