Three escape town house fire in Virginia Beach

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Virginia Beach, Va. – Two adults and a 9-year-old escaped a fire in a town house on West Hastings Court early Friday morning.

This happened in the 5800 block.

Fire crews say that the blaze started in the furnace that was located in a first-floor utility closet.

Fire officials say the three were unable to get out through the first floor, and were rescued via ladder from a second-floor window. They were trying to climb out of the back bedroom window.

The person who called for help told emergency officials that the three members of the family were leaning out of the window to breathe. Officers say when they first arrived, there was heavy smoke coming from the first floor.

Officers helped the residents out onto an attached shed roof and called for fire crews to bring a ladder to help.

One woman was transported to a hospital for evaluation, but is expected to be OK.

The family will not be able to stay in the home due to smoke damage and lack of utilities.

1 Comment

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.