Action Day: Heavy rain may cause flash floods Friday

Fire at Reef Lounge ruled accidental

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Virginia Beach, Va. (WTKR) - A fire at the Reef Lounge on Shore Drive has been ruled accidental by Virginia Beach Fire officials.

Flames broke out at the karaoke bar and restaurant Thursday night.

Employee James Johnson says he was inside at the time and was the first to notice the smoke.

"In those couple of seconds I get back there grabbing the fire extinguisher, it just went quick. Black smoke everywhere. Can't see and the power went out," Johnson told NewsChannel 3's Todd Corillo.

Johnson says the fire extinguisher malfunctioned and he, another employee and a regular customer inside at the time were forced to get out.

"By that time there was so much smoke, we started coughing and we had to evacuate. Call 911 and firefighters showed up," he stated.

Firefighters had trouble initially when they discovered electrical equipment was involved, forcing them to temporarily back out.

Power had to be cut to neighboring businesses like Furst Choice Doggy Day Care.

"We had started getting a little bit of the overflow smoke coming into the building, so we didn't want the dogs to be breathing that in, so we started getting them out of the building as fast as possible," explained manager Kristine Matter.

All of the dogs were safely moved to the veterinary clinic next door.

Reef employees like Johnson were disappointed by the extensive damage to the restaurant, which has been a part of Shore Drive since the 1960s according to its Facebook page.

"A lot of people - a lot of regulars - it's like a second home or whatever. It's sad," Johnson said.

Volunteer Fire Chief Wayne Richardson with the Oceana Volunteer Fire Department was back on Shore Drive Friday thanking surrounding businesses who supported the firefighters during the fire.

He said the McDonald's, Dunkin'Donuts, Guadalajara Mexican Bar & Grill and Cape Henry Citgo all provided coffee or shelter for the firefighters.

2 comments

  • Betty Johnson Nath

    I know that the new restaurant that was going in where the Mongolian BBQ was has delayed their opening. What about the other two businesses? Guess everything happens for a reason … Seashore Florist was between The Reef and Citgo for almost 30 years. I’ll be re-opening at The Lynnhaven Colony Shops in about six weeks. Love The Reef, it was my “Cheers” and I will do what I can to help if Kay decides to re-open. I sincerely hope she does, it’s a Virginia Beach landmark!

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.