USS Ronald Reagan sailors to sue power company over alleged Fukushima radiation poisoning

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A group of sailors who served in relief efforts aboard the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan following the deadly tsunami that struck Japan in March 2011 will file a new lawsuit against Japanese power company TEPCO.

The sailor claim they suffer from a variety of illnesses triggered by radiation poisoning from fallout they were exposed to from the meltdowns at the Fukushima nuclear plants, according to Fox News.

The plaintiffs claim the power company delayed telling the Navy the tsunami had caused a nuclear meltdown, sending huge amounts of contaminated water into the sea and, ultimately, into the ship’s water system.

Sailors stationed aboard the USS Essex have also joined the group filing suit.

San Francisco Attorney Charles Bonner, who is representing allegedly cancer-stricken sailors, initially filed a federal suit in the Southern District of California more than a year ago on behalf of a dozen sailors. The lawsuit was initially dismissed, when the court ruled that any ruling would hinge on interpreting communication between the Japanese and U.S. governments, which could violate the separation of powers. But Bonner is amending the suit to add new allegations that would fall under the court’s jurisdiction. And the number of plaintives has more than quadrupled as more service members come forward with radiation-related illnesses, he said.


“They went in to help with rescue efforts,” said Bonner, who plans to refile the suit on Jan. 6. “They did not go in prepared to deal with radiation containment.”


The plaintiffs don’t blame the U.S. Navy, which they believe acted in good faith, Bonner said. It was the plant’s operators who sat on the meltdown information during the crucial hours following the March 11, 2011 disaster, he said.

TEPCO officials did not respond to requests for comment. But a recent admission before members of the Japanese press on Dec. 12 during a meeting at the Tokyo Press Club, former Prime Minister Naoto Jan said the first meltdown occurred five hours after the tsunami, not the next day as reported at the time.


Bonner alleges that the statement means that the Japanese government knew radiation was being leaked and did not inform the U.S. Navy.

Read more at Fox News.


  • Hiroshi Suzuki

    Scientists Link Spike in Thyroid Disease to Fukushima Disaster
    December 23, 2013 The Real News

    We looked at California and we looked at the changes in the rates of hypothyroidism for the 9 months after Fukushima compared to the previous year, and we found a 26 percent increase in the rate of hypothyroidism.

    The Fukushima Medical University have taken 200,000 children under age 18 who live relatively close to Fukushima, and they tested for two things. The first they tested for was thyroid cancer. And they have found up to 59 children have thyroid cancer. In a normal–we would expect 1 or 2.

    Second thing that they found is they through ultrasound look at the child’s thyroid gland for precancerous lumps what they call cysts and nodules. And so far, 56 percent of children near Fukushima do in fact have a precancerous cyst or a nodule. And every year it gets higher–2 years ago, 35 percent, last year 45 percent, this year 56 percent.

  • Clint Austin

    They joined the military giving up all of their freedom, they were sent out there, if anyone should be sued it should be the idiots in our Nazi government that sent them into a frickin NUCLEAR CLOUD!

  • northcoast

    I can’t believe that Navy nuclear people weren’t aware of the crisis at the Fukushima plants. We saw the evacuation, the steam releases, and the effects of the hydrogen explosions. Regardless of Japanese pronouncements (while they were dealing with the effects of the earthquake and the tsunami), I would expect the Navy to monitor exposure to radiation.

  • Hiroshi Suzuki

    More Water Leaks Detected at Tokyo Electric

    Tokyo, Dec. 24 (Jiji Press)–Tokyo Electric said Tuesday it has detected leaks of radioactive water from 2 more storage tank areas at the Fukushima plant.

    Water levels have dropped inside walled areas in which storage tanks for radioactive water are located, indicating that up to 225 tons of tainted water may have seeped into the ground, Tokyo Electric said.

    The 2 areas are located to the west of the No. 4 reactor building in the Fukushima plant.

    Water samples collected on Friday contained 440 becquerels of strontium-90 per liter, higher than Tokyo Electric’s provisional limit of less than 10 becquerels for water that can be released from storage tank areas.

    The news came after Tokyo Electric reported radioactive water leaks from 2 other tank areas over the weekend.

  • billyV

    I’m completely beside myself at the lack of media coverage concerning all info connected to this “granddaddy of all nuclear disasters”. And now we have reactor #3 going “most likely into criticality”. Please wake up world!!

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.