369 customers still without power in Isle of Wight County. Estimated time of restoration: 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Red flags are out in Sandbridge, Resort, Northend and Croatan due to rough surf, high winds and risk of rip currents

Suffolk Walmart temporarily closes after carbon monoxide detected

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue along with Suffolk Police responded to Walmart at 1200 North Main Street on Tuesday morning just before 9:00 a.m. after a strong smell of gas was detected in areas around the store.

Carbon monoxide was detected inside the store with gas meters and the store was evacuated at 10:45 a.m.

Suffolk Police assisted with nearby traffic control and Virginia Natural Gas responded to the scene.

Police say the HVAC units in the building are remotely controlled at a Walmart facility out of state and the cause of the gas and carbon monoxide odors could not be isolated.

Virginia Natural Gas did a pressure test of the natural gas system which indicated a leak. The natural gas is now secured to the entire building until crews make repairs on Wednesday. 

No reports of injuries or patients have been associated with this incident.

The store reopened at 6:50 p.m., but the bakery and deli are still closed.